Many people with Sjogren's develop a cough because of dryness in the air passages.
Sjogren's is a systemic disease and treatment for a dry cough caused by SS should be treated by a medication/treatment that treats the whole body.
Many people, for a variety of reasons, do not fare well on these medications and choose to try complementary treatments. Here are 10 natural cough remedies (which were reviewed by a doctor):
1. Honey tea: mix 2 teaspoons (tsp) with warm water or an herbal tea. Drink this mixture once or twice a day.
2. Ginger: Brew up a soothing ginger tea by adding 20–40 grams (g) of fresh ginger slices to a cup of hot water. Allow to steep for a few minutes before drinking. Add honey or lemon juice to improve the taste and further soothe a cough.
3. Warm Fluids: beverages that may be comforting include:
- clear broths
- herbal teas
- decaffeinated black tea
- warm water
- warm fruit juices
4. Steam: Take a hot shower or bath and allow the bathroom to fill with steam. Stay in this steam for a few minutes until symptoms subside. Drink a glass of water afterward to cool down and prevent dehydration.
5. Marshmallow root: Add hot water to either dried herb or a bagged marshmallow root tea and then drink it immediately or allow it to cool first.