Sunday

Burning mouth in Sjogren's Syndrome

Lately my mouth symptoms have gotten so bad -
tongue tingling
burning feeling in whole mouth
loss of taste
feeling tongue is swollen
weird metallic taste in mouth
I drink alot of water but have learnt that while that is important it is not a cure. In SS, decreased exocrine gland function leads to the "sicca complex", a combination of dry eyes and dry mouth. An exocrine gland is not simply water. It is made up of complicated combinations of material for a particular task. For example tears are to lubricate, prevent bacteria and remove dirt and dust. So it is not just a matter
of replacing water in the diet.
So here are some things that I am trying to help control my extreme symptoms of dry mouth at present:
  • I have noticed that sugar does aggravate these symptoms so I have eliminated it from my diet.
  • I have been using lip balm daily.
  • A gel-based saliva substitute at night or if I have a rest
  • Mouthwash designed for dry mouth - I find this is the best relief (Make sure you never use ordinary mouthwash as this is extremely drying)

Here is some great information about treating dry mouth - What Can I Do About Dry Mouth?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you
    You have really helped me with this great info
    Posted by Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neutrasal is an advanced Electrolyte solution or a Supersaturated Calcium-Phosphate rinse. It will help heal your mouth. You can still use Magic Mouthwash if you want to relieve the pain until it heals, but Magic Mouthwash will not heal anything. Neutrasal comes in single packets and are easy to use. Neutrasal has been clinically proven to relieve the symptoms of dry mouth in Sjogrens patients, with no reported side effects. Since Neutrasal is a new product, not many people know about it. If you want to find out more visit http://neutrasal.com/ or ask your Doctor or Dentist about Neutrasal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neutrasal tastes bad and had no positive effect for me. It was like salt water wash.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...